Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oh home!

So I have been here for a little over 3 months now and so far I have been good, relatively. I mean I haven't gotten terribly ill, nor has anything bad happened to me. But I feel like time is here is getting to a point, where the honeymoon phase is wearing off, and I am like, I moved here, willingly?! I moved to a place that is ungodly hot, where everyone plays their music at uncomfortably loud level, and where there is a lack of the concept for time for anyone and anything. So with my levels of frustrations rising and not seeing a free weekend with gringos in sight, I have decided to make a list of things I like so far about this place to overshadow what might not be so peachy about living here in El Salvador.

-The majority of Salvadorans that I have met have an overwhelming level of generosity without even knowing me.
-The fact that anytime I visit anyone, they will find a chair for me to sit in. (BTW, you are obliged to sit in the chair, in case not to offend)
-I have RELATIVELY good transport, and get anywhere in a day if I wanted
-Coca-cola in glass bottles with REAL sugar
-Riding in the back of a pick up, anywhere
-Eating fruit here in all stages of riping, not like in the states where you wait till its sweet and ripe. They have 4 levels of riping here.
-Almost anywhere here you can see the stars
-I can lay in a hammock all day and its justified
-The lack of urgency for anything
-bucket baths!
-Pupusas, if you havent tried the cheesy goodness, you should!They only cost a cora! Thats quarter to us.
-Curtido, it's like a cabbage vinegar slaw that accompanies the pupusa. Cant eat a pupusa without curtido now!


Ok that is all for now, but just making that list made me feel better being here. I dont want to say that I am homesick, I am just adjusting to life here. It's a very different world down here.

In other news, I have to hold a town hall type meeting in front of my whole community and to think of being in front of emotionless faces, scares me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly McMills i hope you doing very good... ive been checked your posts and they are awesome thanks for visiting us... my name is Jose and i am from las posas i think i saw you a couple of times over there... in another post you talked about drunk men and it is a real problem that we have, its sad when you see all of those kids smocking and drinking alcohol, i dont know if you are still there but if not i hope the best for you thank you again because we need more people like you in el salvador, because when salvadorians cant change our country persons like you can change everything in a beautiful country. my email is piojo_3x4d@hotmail.com if sometime you want to contact me ok and thank you again....

    ReplyDelete