Sunday, April 18, 2010

Alright, definitely time for an update!

So I moved to Guatemala. Well not really, but yeah basically. I live in a village that borders Guatemala and the river is what separates the two countries. I have had trouble with my internet, mainly because service goes in an out here because I am so close to Guatemala. Yesterday marked my third week in my site. Where I am now is where I will be living for the next two years! That's really overwhelming to think like that so I am going to divide my service up into tri-monthly quarters. So for the next three months, I am working on adjusting to my new community as well as doing a census to get to know the community a better. And it's awkward. How many cases of diarrhea have you had in the last two months? When was your last mammogram? Do you know anything HIV/AIDS? Etc. Etc. How much do you make in a month? How much do you receive in Remesas. All awkward questions, for me and them. I have 130 houses to do, so I work on that a bit every day. I am also just doing some diagnostics with different groups in the community to get a better needs assessment and priority rankings for potential projects for the next two years. But mainly it's just adjusting to be the new gringa in town. I am the second volunteer in my site, so they kind of have an idea about our weird behavior and our strange culture. For example, living on my own. That is so weird for them! So I think I will have some luck in being pro-active and make some headway in doing some projects. But we will see.

On another note, I know you all want to visit. I can officially have volunteers in July, but I hear November, December, and January are the best times to come. But naturally, whenever you all can come, let me know! I miss you guys.

2 comments:

  1. Hey molly... this post i mean for everyone to see...inlike last time...i really should never post anything when at work and a zombie...never good... Anyways I miss you bunches... um sorority news not much, new girls are great...me, um life is alright, I need to come see you! I love your new boyfriend, I am sorry that I missed you on fb the other day. Btw, I dont know that I would have the courage to move completely to a different country and do what you are doing... you are amazing! I miss you bunches and I love you very much.... any news on plane tix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly my name is Bernard, my girlfriend is from san antonio pajonal, santa ana, el salvador we are here in the United States , but her family lives in san antonio pajonal and we have been trying to get internet service for them do you have any suggestion for us. Please email us at bassman-security@live.com Thank You.

    ReplyDelete